Monday, March 20, 2017

The Good Life: On Being Great

As I was reading through my devotions this morning, I came across the story in the Bible of a Roman centurion who has an encounter with Jesus after the Sermon on the Mount. The centurion came to Jesus and asked for Him to heal his servant who was paralyzed. 

At first, all I could think of was how courageous the centurion had to be, in order to approach Jesus and ask Him for this. I continued to read on in the scripture, and after I finished reading through the exchange between the two, I realized it wasn't courage that this centurion had, but rather humility.

Let's take a look at the passage in Matthew Chapter 8.....

When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.” And he said to him, “I will come and heal him.” But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant,[c] ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

This centurion knew the power of Jesus. He knew what He was capable of, and He knew that there was no other way for this man to healed. He humbled himself before the Lord and asked for His healing touch. What amazes me so much was that this man himself had great authority in the role he played, but he still recognized that there was someone higher than himself. He let go of his pride to go to Jesus and ask for help.


Does this sound familiar to you? It does for me. I can't tell you how many times I feel like I need to defend myself and my pride gets in the way. Instead, I need to humble myself and look to the interest of others instead of my own. We all want to feel like we hold some kind of power, but in the end we stand powerless before the Almighty King. He is the the ultimate authority and when we learn to humble ourselves before Him, that's when He will be able to help us in whatever area of life we need.

Many Blessings,

Erin Kessler

Thought Questions

1. Why is it hard to humble ourselves sometimes?

2. In what areas or with whom, do you need to work on humility?